Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) warns of severely limited capacity, crowding and delays between August 11 through 26; encourages Metro riders to consider travel alternatives
**VIA FAIRFAX COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION**
For Immediate Release
Aug. 1, 2018
Your Commute Will Be Impacted Aug. 11-26, 2018
Beginning August 11 through August 26, 2018, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) will conduct around the clock construction on a segment of the Metrorail Orange, Blue and Silver lines resulting in limited capacity, and possible crowding and delays.
Weekday Service Highlights:
SILVER LINE: Trains will operate between Wiehle-Reston East and Largo Town Center every 20 minutes at all times.
ORANGE LINE: Trains will operate between Vienna and New Carrollton every 20 minutes at all times.
BLUE LINE: Trains will operate between Franconia-Springfield and Arlington Cemetery every 16 minutes during rush hour periods; every 12 minutes midday and evenings; every 20 minutes after 10 p.m.
YELLOW LINE: During rush hour, additional trains will operate between Franconia-Springfield and Greenbelt every 16 minutes for added capacity into D.C ., and to accommodate Blue Line customers traveling between Virginia and Downtown D.C.
NOTE: No rail or bus service between Rosslyn and Arlington Cemetery. Use the Yellow Line and transfer to/from the Orange or Silver lines at L’Enfant Plaza.
Video: Metro Capital Improvement Project | August 11-26
*VIDEO VIA WMATA.COM*
Know Your Travel Options and Plan Now
To avoid gridlock, Fairfax County commuters are urged to consider the use of alternative travel options such as express bus connections, carpooling, slugging and biking. Employers are also strongly encouraged to allow telework and flexible schedules, whenever possible.
Plan Now – **NEW** Key Fairfax County Transit and Bike Connections Added
There are 4,000+ spaces currently available at Park-and-Rides (with access to HOV and HOT lanes), across Fairfax County for catching an express bus, a VRE train, a carpool/vanpool, or to form a slug line.
If you currently park and ride from Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church, East Falls Church or Wiehle-Reston East stations, consider using alternate connections below, or Yellow/Blue Line facilities. Most Park-and-Ride facilities offer bike lockers and rooms, and all Fairfax Connector buses feature bike racks for easy transfer from trails to transit.
- Vienna Metrorail Station **NEW**
- Government Center P&R
- Fairfax Connector 699 express bus service to Downtown D.C. ->
- Please consider utilizing early morning trips that have more seats available.
- Burke Centre VRE
- Orange Line Bike Connections I Map **NEW**
- Reston South P&R **NEW**
- Wiehle-Reston East Metrorail Station (paid parking) **UPDATE**
- Herndon-Monroe P&R
- Metrobus 5A express service to Rosslyn & L’Enfant Plaza
- Silver Line Bike Connections I Map **NEW**
- Franconia-Springfield Metrorail Station (paid parking)
- VRE Fredericksburg Line – via Franconia-Springfield or Alexandria to Crystal City, L’Enfant Plaza and Union Station.
- Saratoga P&R
- Rolling Valley P&R
- Fairfax Connector 310 to Huntington Metrorail Stations
- Bike Connections **NEW**
Brochure: Blue, Orange, Silver lines Capital Improvement Project
[tnc-pdf-viewer-iframe file=”https://tysonsva.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/blue-orange-silver-brochure-005.pdf” width=”800″ height=”600″ download=”true” print=”true” fullscreen=”true” share=”true” zoom=”true” open=”true” pagenav=”true” logo=”true” find=”true” current_view=”true” rotate=”true” handtool=”true” doc_prop=”false” toggle_menu=”true” language=”en-US” page=”” default_zoom=”auto” pagemode=””]
Stay Informed and Get Trip Planning Assistance
For day-to-day information and assistance with your Fairfax County commute:
- Sign-up for text/email “Commuter Alerts” at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/alerts
- For assistance with ridesharing services and planning, call Fairfax County Commuter Services (FCCS) at 703-877-5600, TTY 711, or visit www.commuterconnections.org
- For information on bus connections, call Fairfax Connector’s Telephone Information Center (TIC) at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608
Fairfax County Department of Transportation
Tysons Transportation Management Association (Tysons TMA)
Contact: Ronit Aviva Dancis | Director, Transportation | Tysons TMA
Link to original post via fairfaxcounty.gov